Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strawberries, Potatoes, Basil


I planted 25 of the Eversweet strawberry plants in a raised bed. A row of 9 down the middle, spaced 15.5" apart and two rows of 8 on either side, 9" from the outside border and spaced the same, but offset so that the pattern formed a diamond.

The night before last, it got down to 35F in the greenhouse and there was a frost freeze warning, so I covered the strawberries and potatoes with my plastic sheets I created for cold frames. It got down to 35F in the greenhouse last night as well, so I may have helped the plants along a bit.

I replanted basil seeds in the two 9-pot containers which combined had four basil sprouts. I put each container in a gallon Ziploc bag. I like to use a straw to blow the bags up just before I seal them. I figure it keeps the plastic off of the seedlings, which experience has shown to be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment