Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Composting Manure


It rained today, so I decided to forgo shredding the manure and just had Jason help me load it into bins. There was not quite enough to fill two full bins, but it was close. I made sure I sprinkled water on as we put the mix into the bins. There were parts of it that were already hot to the touch, so I am hoping the composting will move right along.


I also had Jason help me level the raised bed he built. It's not perfect, but it is close enough. I may adjust it slightly if I look at it and find it bothers me. I think one corner needs to be raised half an inch.

I took the time to weed the Yukon Gold bed. The plants are now up and it's time to start filling in the holes as they grow. So weeding fit with pushing a little soil back into the holes. I noticed that the Pontiac Red are also starting to leaf up just a bit. It won't all be lost, which is what I had feared.

I ordered two types of everbearing strawberries from Gurneys, Eversweet Everbearing and Ozark Beauty. They should arrive the first of May. I have a bed picked out for them. There will only be 20 plants total (a row of 8 down the middle and a row of 6 on either side, spaced on the bias is my plan). If they are anything like strawberries I have had in the past, 20 will turn into 30 very easily.

I broke my compost bin in the kitchen. I've ordered a new one but Amazon.com said it would be July before it would be delivered.

I installed a hit counter on the blog today.

No comments:

Post a Comment