Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Potato Redoux Two, Etc.


The first planting of Pontiac Red potatoes were as dead as my first planting of Yukon Gold, so I stopped by Feed and Seed to see if they had any potato seed left. They did and it had started to sprout nicely, so I brought it home last week. This time I cut the eyes out inside the house and let the crust form out of the sun. Saturday I replanted.

I have now thinned my first planing of tomatoes (the Marglobes) down to one plant per pot. They seem healthy. I have been setting them out in the greenhouse during the day, where the temperatures have been up in the high 90sF lately during the day.


My second planting of tomatoes (the Brandywines) are having a harder time. I planted extra seeds per pot, but the germination rate has been less than desired. There are plants now in 11 of 12 pots, but only one plant in most cases. Two of these have had a hard time losing the seed casing and look like little sticks with balls at the end. I have replanted some extra seeds (4 in the 12th spot). I guess I will just be patient.

I only have 3 of 27 basil plants sprouted. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong there, too. I have plenty of seeds. I will just continue to watch and maybe look a bit on the web to see if I need to improve conditions. They have been kept wet, but the house may be too cool for them. I'm not sure.

Nothing yet from the peppers or marigolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment