Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, April 16, 2010

Status Report


Kathy is in the hospital recovering from a scheduled lower back operation, which gave me a little extra time this morning. (I'm taking the day off work, but Kathy isn't an early riser, so I do not need to show up at the hospital early.)

I took the time to side dress the onions. I sprinkled 10-10-10 all around. For the eastern most quarter of the bed, I took the added step of disturbing the soil with my fingers to work the fertilizer in. My thinking is that this should help get the fertilizer where it is needed and that I can also get rid of grasses and weeds at the same time. I stopped after the first quarter because I discovered that I was disturbing the onion roots.
But, it was a clean quarter and so I've introduced a bit of experimentation into the onion patch. I watered all sections well and equally. If there is no discernible positive difference, I will just side dress and hand pick weeds in the future.

I counted Yukon Gold sprouts. There are sprouts in 43 of 48 holes. Of course, I planted some seed that were just eyes where nothing had yet sprouted, so I will recount in a few days. I watered both the Yukon Gold and Pontiac Red. I've seen no sprouts among the Pontiac Red yet, but I will be patient.

Nothing has changed in the greenhouse. The Marglobe are doing well, the Brandywine look weak and are slow to take, the Basil still only has 3 sprouts among 27 pots and they aren't growing well. I may just plant seed in the beds when I transplant the tomatoes. No Marigolds or Peppers.

The five grape plants are showing signs of life. Two of them have grape buds showing.

I saw a wild turkey run across the corner of the yard when I was out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment