Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Monday, November 23, 2009

Waste


The weather looked like it was going to be on the cold side again several days ago, so Jeff and I put the covers back on all four cold frames. It got down to 34 one night and 32 the next. Since then it hasn't been as cold, but the highs have been in the low 50s, so I am happy to keep the cold frames on.


Today is our garbage day. Kathy cleaned out the refrigerator in anticipation of Thanksgiving. So, the fridge is now clean. The garbage can was full and heavy. This brings me to the point of talking about waste. I am not happy to be a contributing member of the most wasteful generation in the history of the world. What is worse, is that I think about this every Monday evening when I have to take the evidence of our own wastefulness to the curb. I certainly don't want to keep it around, but it makes me mindful that we waste a lot. Yet, I am not sure what to do about it. I have the appropriate attitude. I am not wasteful on purpose. We recycle plastic, cardboard, newspapers, and aluminum. But we still consume a lot. At least a portion of what is thrown out consists of things that no longer work or that cannot be reused by someone else -- broken toys and appliances -- things that are either broken or obsolete. I know everything we throw out was once upon a time brought in. I guess this means we are among the world's best consumers (although probably not as good as some).

I notice that we waste a lot of food. For a long time, we were feeding seven of us. When you are used to cooking for seven, it is hard to scale down to cooking for just two, three or four. Plus, Kathy and my consumption has decreased markedly. It seems we always cook too much and put leftovers in the refrigerator that spoil before they can be consumed. Part of the challenge is that the serving size that is offered in the grocery is too large. We can't eat a whole chicken, a whole pound of hamburger, or a complete box or mix of anything in one sitting.

I did buy a FoodSaver and we have started using it to freeze portions and left overs. But we are not yet consistent. And, on the good side, there are things we use regularly that we have taken pains to save, especially food from the garden. I think when you grow it yourself, you come to realize that it is precious and not to be wasted. That is one of the unadvertised benefits of growing your own food. It all of a sudden becomes more valuable. We still see waste, but much less. There is an attitude that comes with planting, tending, watching, fighting off pests and drought that you don't get when you pay $2.99 per pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment