Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cheers and Jeers

We harvested some broccoli from the garden yesterday and we have more ready to gather. Yesterday's turned into broccoli cheese soup.


The spinach is coming along nicely, but is only a couple of weeks old, so it is not ready to harvest yet.



I planted some cauliflower seeds about two months ago in 9-pack containers. I kept them in the greenhouse. Nothing happened. So about a month ago, I replanted. This time, I kept the 9-pack in the house in a Ziploc plastic bag to ensure that moisture and temperature would be constant. Some of these seeds sprouted -- not all, but enough to make me avoid the total failure label.


But here is what has me bothered today. The greenhouse was bought from Costco, but is no longer offered there. The problem I have had from the beginning is that the windows pop out because the system for holding them in is either poorly designed or poorly produced. (In my case, I think it is the latter.) The windows are held in by a thin plastic strip that snugs the window in place against an aluminum frame. The strips are warped. I have two windows that I am often replacing. Sort of a pain.


This is a problem that I have to solve one way or another. I have thought of drilling small holes and threading a bolt or something through it. I don't have much started in the greenhouse so far and don't plan on anything until spring, but I have to get this one solved. A greenhouse without windows that stay put is not a greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment