Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Monday, November 2, 2009

November Cutworm?


I went out this morning to just look around. Daylight savings is gone and that gives me time in the morning and I doubt I will have any in the evening when I get home from work.

Most things looked good, but I need to do some clean up. The tops of plants that have been harvested haven't yet been put into the compost. There are small weeds poking up where the carrots and sweet potatoes grew, and some larger weeds in areas that I neglected.

Looking around was what I expected until I examined the cauliflower closely. One looked like it had fallen over because of the rain. But a closer inspection revealed a severed stem.



I didn't think I would have to deal with cutworms at this time of the year. I guess little collars are in the making for this evening. Of the 18 plants I put in, 1 died at the outset (the top growth had been pinched) and it looks like 3 will go from cut worm damage. Damage!

No comments:

Post a Comment