Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, June 18, 2010

Pontiac Reds


Last year, nearly all my Pontiac Reds turned out like the potato pictured first. They had blight splotches all over them. I only saved a handful. My goal this year was to avoid this completely. I planted in a different bed and harvested earlier. There were 6 Pontiac Reds that had severe blight spots.

There were a number that had one or two small spots. I'm not quite sure what to do with these. I have yet to sort out the potatoes; I just washed them and am now letting them dry. I weighed the potatoes I intend to keep. There were about 36 pounds of Pontiac Reds harvested this year.

Most of the potatoes seem to be normsl. Pontiac Reds have very delicate skins. I often see the skin scraped when I pull them out of the dirt. Jenna helped me this evening. She figure out that gently pulling the whole plant out of the soil actually made it easier to keep the skins intact and those that remained behind in the soil were easier to get. Before that I had been digging around the plants trying to find the tubers and only taking the plant out at the end of my search.

One of the oddities this year was that one of the Pontiac Reds produced a few potatoes with pure white skin. I think I will try to save these and see if I can plant them later. Perhaps an interesting mutation that might be worthy cultivating. They are very small though.

No comments:

Post a Comment