Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wet Weather and Tomatoes


I'm sure there are plenty of people in my neck of the woods who have had success with tomatoes this year, but the common complaint I have from friends is that it has been too wet and tomatoes have not done well.

After last year's dismal tomato harvest, I was committed to not even try. Last year was the year I tried to dedicate the garden to growing heirloom varieties. They just didn't do well.

This year, I wasn't even going to plant any, but Kathy wanted some. So we went to the Farmer's Market and bought some hybrids. I have since looked and I can't find the labels that state what variety they are. All I know is that we bought a four-pack of one variety and a single of another.

Given the few plants we have had, I was surprised the other day to come home and find that Kathy had enough tomatoes to can some. And the plants continue to produce.


I understand the theory of growing heirloom varieties. Heirlooms can be grown from your own seed year-after-year-after-year. But here's the deal, the hybrids are doing well. I also understand the theory of growing tomatoes from seed. You gain important understanding about self-reliance when you grow tomatoes from seed. But the deal here is that what we planted took a lot less energy and made a lot less mess than going the heirloom route.

No comments:

Post a Comment