Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Green Beans


We have green beans aplenty!

I planted Blue Lake beans four per square foot in one of my raised beds. So far we have picked about a third of the bed and have two plastic grocery bags full. I don't know exactly what we will do with them all. It's not like we eat that many!

Before we started to harvest, I picked a few one day for dinner. We watched Matt (our grandson) one evening and picked some more. His job seemed to be to dump them out of the bowl we were putting them in, then pick them up and put them back in the container.

Kathy and I went out the first evening we actually decided it was time to harvest or lose the crop. I think we picked for half an hour. I followed the next evening and did another half an hour's worth of picking. I think one more trip to the bed will complete the gathering task.

These beans are planted in the last raised bed to be built. The soil consists primarily of some sort of compost with about half a yard of peat moss mixed in. I don't consider it to be my best bed. But, as you can see from the photo, each plant seemed to do quite well in terms of numbers of beans produced and their size.

No comments:

Post a Comment