Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Purple Sunflower Seeds



From what I have read, there are basically two types of sunflower seeds; black, which are oily, and white with gray stripes, which are best for eating. So, as I have been harvesting, I've looked to see what each sunflower head yields. I find it a curiosity primarily because I thought all of the seeds Jenna and I planted would bear the snacking variety.

In fact, most are either quite white with very light gray striations. There are some black seeds as well. It makes sense because some of the seeds that were planted were black. But then, I saw the sunflower head on the left of the photo. These seeds are clearly different than the rest of the heads. I placed it next to a typical light colored sunflower just to show the contrast.

I just harvested this one, so I'm not sure how it will end up. Perhaps the seeds will change color when they dry.

I searched and found that there are others who have also reported this. For example, Project Noah reported about a similar harvest. I even found a research abstract that addressed the issue.

The anthocyanin pigments in hulls of purple sunflower seeds have been identified by chromatographic, spectral and chemical properties. The four most abundant anthocyanins were identified as cyanidin 3-glucoside, cyanidin 3-malonylglucoside, cyanidin 3-xyloside and cyanidin 3-malonylxyloside. This is the first report of malonylated anthocyanins in sunflower seeds and the first characterization in plants of the malonyl xyloside.

If that's not informative, what is? My guess is that there is some mutation that I somehow picked up on. I plan to save some of these seeds and replant next year to see what I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment