Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, May 20, 2011

Slow Tomato Progress


Gardening is a always a philosophical endeavor. It is entirely practical, of course. But when you fail, like I seem to do often, it makes you stop and think. I'm not sure thinking does me any good, but I'm bound to do it anyway. I've taken stock of the state of my tomato plants. Here is my brief report and analysis.

I have one strong Hungarian Heart plant (shown on top) and smaller one planted last week (not shown). The strong one seems to be doing everything I would want a plant to do. i am hoping the smaller one will survive and starting growing new leaves soon. I've planted two seeds directly in the garden in hopes that something might happen. I understand what my problem has been. I planted the first batch too soon, probably the second batch, too. But I think there is another problem that I need to figure out how to address if I am going to start tomatoes from seed. I think the planting mix I used is very low on nutrients. There was just too much yellow instead of green from the moment the plants got true leaves.

My pride aside, I want tomatoes. So, for the other 12 spots in that raised bed, I went to the Farmer's Market and bought some Rutgers, which I planted yesterday evening. They plants (second photo) also have a little yellow in the lower leaves, but they are hardy otherwise and will surely grow.

I assume the nursery planted the seeds at the same time as the rest of their crop, so I have benefitted a bit by waiting. I think they will do just fine. I was tempted to ask how they do it, but I doubted I would get an answer that would really do me any good. There is something technical I need to learn. More than anything, I think I need to find out what the missing ingredient is and learn where to buy it.

The John Baer tomatoes (third photo) are all alive and are about the same size as the Rutgers. They are a little spindley still, but are green and seem to be growing. I added some 10-10-10 to boost growth a bit. I'm not sure what else to do other than wait. At least there are 16 plants that are alive and growing. New leaves have come out on all but a few of these plants.

This time of the year is a little frustrating for those who want quick results. Tomatoes need to establish themselves and the roots need to grow before the tops are going to take off. I remember feeling this way last year and then, all of a sudden, things take off and the tomato plants seemed to grow too fast. I understand that fast stem growth does not equate with productivity. Except for the Rutgers, these are all untried varieties for me.

The Italian Heirloom are doing well in terms of color. They were smaller in the jiffy pots when they sprouted and they are still a bit smaller. But I think they like the place where they reside. I gave them a little extra 10-10-10 yesterday, too.

So, instead of 48 plants, I currently have 46 with the potential for 2 more if seeds sprout and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment