Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, September 17, 2010

Garlic and Onions


I started planting again. I started yesterday and it will extend for a couple of days yet. I bought some Chet's Italian Red garlic from Seed Savers Exchange. The variety is described as a "highly productive and adaptable strain. Heirloom variety from Chet Stevenson of Tonasket, Washington, found growing wild in an abandoned garden along the roadside. A good garlic for eating raw, because the flavor is not too strong." I guess I picked it to plant because it was not described as being overly spicy. I had my little pal Jacob over to watch the process, although I think his dad (Jonathan) got more out of it than he did. Jacob was into looking at the spider that has found an ideal spot in the doorway of the greenhouse and chancing the little dog.


From the two heads, I got 30 plantable cloves. I added to cloves of whatever it is we have in the fridge to make it to 32 (4 rows of 8). Seed Savers sent out explicit planting instructions to plant between September 15 and November.

I figure what must be good for garlic is good for onions.

I have started planting onion seed from my other order from Seed Savers. I ordered two varieties. I am working on the Long Red Florence seed now. Last year, I thought I would grow sets and then replant. So I planted closely. I was going to space the sets out in the spring. That didn't work for me. The Florence came up just fine, but I couldn't figure out how or when to transplant. So this year, I am just planting 9 seeds to the square foot. As you can see in the photo, I used my templates and a chop stick to make the holes for the seeds. I usually just use my finger, but I thought the chopstick would let me keep my finger clean, which would help me pick up the individual seeds. I turned out that the soil was so dry that I swirled the chop stick in the hole to make an indentation deep enough to plant the seed properly.

I have taken the rest of the bed that the 32 garlic are in (spaced 4 to the square foot) with the Florence. I calculate having planted 348 Florence if they all come up. If they don't, I have sufficient to plant again. The weather forecast for the next 10 days has no rain whatsoever. Fortunately, I have full water barrels to draw from. I have plans for the Yellow of Parma for a separate bed, but I need to clean it out first.

No comments:

Post a Comment