Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Sunday, March 14, 2010

First Seeds

I thought Saturday was going to be a rainy day, so I didn't plan on doing anything in the garden, but then I woke up and it was clear, so I decided it was time to start trying to get some things going. My first task was to plant some of the Marglobe tomato seeds I had saved from last season. What Irvin Brown told me was that heirloom tomatoes can keep bearing genetically pure fruit, whereas hybrids can only be grown the first season. So, this is an attempt to see how self-sufficient I can be.



I planted seeds in 24 peat pots with regular planting soil I purchased from Lowes last fall. The only thing that was unexpected was that the soil didn't immediately start absorbing water. So I got a mixing bowl and a wooden spoon to mix the water and potting soil together until water had been absorbed. I planted two seeds per pot just because I haven't a clue about germination. I separated the seeds so that in case two grew in one pot, I could easily dispense with the second. I put the peat pots on a baking pan. (I stopped at 24 because that is how many fit on the pan). I put some extra water in the pan, with the idea that maybe the peat and potting soil would absorb it. I looked today and there wasn't any water sitting in the bottom, so it appeared that it worked that way. I am keeping the pots in the greenhouse but with the vent open. The temperatures inside during the day are getting into the high 70s.

Last year, I had 16 Marglobe plants, so this will up that by 50%. I may get ambitious tomorrow and start a few more Marglobe )so I can double my planting) and do some German Johnsons, too.

While I was at it, I decided to prepare the potato seeds as well. I did what I've done in the past; I cut the seed potatoes so that, to the extent possible, each slip has one good eye developing. Then I turn the slips upside down to form a crust. I think by Monday evening, I should be ready to plant. I haven't prepared any ground yet, so that is a task I will need to do before hand. The weather the next few days should be mild, so it appears to be a good time to get the potatoes in the ground.

I will keep my strategy for planting potatoes this year. I plan to plant them 48 per bed with one bed dedicated to Yukon Gold and one dedicated to Pontiac Red. In the past I have left them in the house to form their crust. I like doing it in the greenhouse this year, just because it hasn't messed up the dining room and the temperature seemed to be right to accomplish the task. I will have a few extra of these to give to Jonathan and Jacob Hammond.

No comments:

Post a Comment