Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Garden Update


This will just be an update on the progress of various plants in the garden. I am going to start with the cucumbers. Both varieties are growing. I picked a small parade cucumber the other day. I am growing them for pickling, but we used it in a salad. Mostly, we just have growth of the vines, but the vines are being trained nicely on the netting. Perhaps there may be a few too many plants (12 on each end of the raised bed) and that is keeping bees from pollinating them because the flowers are hiding under so many leaves. I hope not. I think they will thin out a bit as the vines grow taller.


There are now tomatoes. The photo below is a Hungarian Heart. True to its name, it is somewhat heart-shaped. I have the one large plant that was planted early and was hearty enough to have withstood the early cool weather. I have one medium plant that I grew indoors after the early plants died. And I have 6 plants in the bed that grew from seed. The seedlings are not very large yet, but are alive and growing. There is also one Rutgers in the bed.


The John Baer tomatoes are growing and starting to produce fruit. I noticed some evidence of early blossom rot on some of these, but others seem to be doing well. Of the three varieties, they are at this time the smallest in size.


The Italian Heirloom, despite my misgivings about the poor soil they were planted in, have grown very well. The fruits are generally a bit larger than the John Baer tomatoes and all the plants seem to be producing at about the same rate.


I am finally getting zucchini (pictured) and yellow squash (not pictured because it was out of focus when I got it into the computer and we ate it for dinner, so there is no second chance for a good photo). No bugs yet on these plants, although I know they are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment