Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, June 8, 2012

Peaches Preserved


Kathy and I did our best. We intended to create peach jam. I think we came closer to peach syrup. The end result is a little more liquid than either of us envisioned. I think the problem was that I didn't search for a low-sugar recipe and I probably didn't get the right kind of pectin. (Neither of us is sure what pectin has to do with making jam, but I suspect it is important.) We have four more trees coming.

The problem you run into dealing with fruit, is that it has to be processed right away. The peaches had started to go over-ripe quickly once they were inside. They may have done the same outside, but their status becomes noticeable inside once they are picked. I think things would have been better if we had been able to plan ahead. But, one of the reasons for doing all of this from my perspective is to learn what to do better the next time.

I do have to say, though, the peaches tasted really good. Fresh fruit is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment