Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, November 26, 2010

New Cold Frame


Now that the spinach is planted and colder weather is on the way, I needed a new cold frame. I bought the conduit today with extra straps. Jenna helped me. She bent the conduit into hoops. (My job was holding the completed sections so that they would be more or less straight when she finished.) We did as good a job and Doug Shaw and I did the other day.

Installation when fairly quick. Jenna wanted to drill the straps in, but she didn't want to sit down because the ground was wet and she had already seen what it did to my seat, so she was a little challenged not being able to deliver all the pressure the drill needed. But she did a lot of the work and I just had to finish a few things off.


I spent a couple of hours this afternoon creating the plastic sheet. The sheets I made before are actually just a bit too short. We measured the length needed. Fortunately, I had just enough 6 mil. plastic left. I used to put in 3 grommets on each end and 2 on each side. I have figured out that the side grommets were not very useful. So I skipped them this time. I used to also hem up the sides of the sheets. I abandoned that this time. The sheet now hangs down past the bottom of the raised bed (past where the raised bed meets the ground).

It is supposed to get down to the high 20s F tonight. I'm hoping the ground will stay warm enough for the spinach to sprout. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment