Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Virgin Queen


I am not referring to Elizabeth.

Doug Shaw and I gave a beekeeping workshop to anyone at church who wanted to come. One family (another Doug) came. We had stacked examples of everything, equipment and tools, in the outdoor place we call "the grove." We did our brief explanations, Doug doing most of the explaining. Then, because we had so few there, we went to the apiary at Clarence's house, which is right next to the church. The picture is of Doug (left) and Doug (right) opening up Doug's hive. Doug's only goal was to get his feeders out, which was successful. The other Doug also got to wear a bee suit and take a good look and experience the art of smoking the hive. All was well as far as we could tell.

However, all was not well in my hive -- again. My hive, which had been strong earlier, was now week. Honey had disappeared; bees had disappeared. Most distressing, there was absolutely no brood. The new queen had clearly been released; her cage was empty. However, there was just no brood whatsoever. Not a single capped cell, not a single pupa or larva or egg. I think when we requeened, we got a virgin. I didn't see her, but the bees didn't act as if they were queenless. So, I presume she is there.

Just in case, I talked Doug into swapping a frame from his hive. We picked out a frame that had very young brood on it. If mine need a queen, they should be able to create an emergency queen. If not, I just hope they can survive until spring with what they have. I fed them with sugar water I had stored at Clarence's place earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment