Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Friday, October 1, 2010

Planting Broccoli


I transplanted broccoli seedlings I had bought at the Feed & Seed. I had gone to the Farmer's Market, but they had none. I guess it doesn't really matter. (I forgot that I had my own seed until it was too late to start them on my own.


Last year, I put 18 plants into my 4' x 12' bed. They produced but they were crowded. This year, I put in 9 plants, spacing them 2' apart down the rows with the rows 18" apart. I don't feel the need to crowd. That left three 2' x 2' squares. I planted beet, turnip, and carrot in these squares.

I added about 15 lbs. of dolomitic limestone and some 10-10-10 fertilizer to this bed. I used a different kind of cutworm protecting collar around the plants this time. I used some index tabs left over from a printing job gone bad at the office. They actually seem a little weak, and I'm rethinking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment