Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Monday, October 24, 2011

Tobacco Bee Sting Remedy


I mentioned in an earlier post that my tobacco salve worked well as a bee sting remedy. It brought down the swelling quickly. The only problem was that is was sort of crude.

I let the three leaves I gathered off the side of the road after the tobacco harvest "cure" in my garage. Basically, I hung them up and forgot about them until the other day. I wanted them to be brown and stiff.



Here is the process I have followed so far. I took two of the leaves and crumpled them up and put them in a mortar. Using the pestle, I crunched the leaves to get them as fine as possible. It took a while, perhaps five or six minutes per leaf.

Then I strained the result through a sieve. I took the part that didn't strain and worked on it some more with the mortar and pestle. I got most of the leaf that way. The last little parts that didn't seem to want to get any smaller, I just threw away.



Tobacco, it turns out, can be made to be quite small. I suppose they used to call this snuff.

In the end, I had a little less than a quarter cup of tobacco powder. I've stored it in a medicine bottle. My plan is to take some lotion and mix it in until it gets to a consistency that I like. I'm not sure if I should do this now or wait until I need it. I can imagine (but don't actually know) that there might be benefits to each.

No comments:

Post a Comment