Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tobacco


The best thing about being stung is that I get to try to figure out new ways to deal with it. I don't have a pulmonary reaction; no anaphylaxis. I do seem to swell up at the site some however. the site turns red and is a bit hot to the touch. But, there really isn't any pain, at least there hasn't been any yet.

I got two stings on my neck. I haven't quite figured out how the bees got inside the veil, but I now understand the phrase, "a bee in your bonnet." The top photo is of the sting on the back of my neck. It has swollen to the size of a very small egg (in diameter at least).

The second photo is the sting on the front of my neck. It is about the same, but the red has gone down my chest some. It is the one I can actually see, so I understand it best.

The one on my ankle (the third photo) didn't really do much at all. In part, I think the sock kept the bee from burrowing the stinger in as deep.

The bigger question, is of course, how to treat these stings. Eventually, beekeepers build up an immunity to the toxins. Or perhaps they just develop a biochemistry that isn't as reactive, which is technically not the same. It occurred to me, at Eric's suggestion, that I ought to take some tobacco and use it as a salve. I'm trying to use it with judgment and skill, which is hard since I don't really have much background.

The good part is that we live in a tobacco neighborhood. There are 3 tobacco fields near the house. I've noticed in years past that leaves often fall off the trucks and can be found laying on the side of the road. So, on my way home from work today, I kept my eyes open as I drove by all three fields. Only one of them had some leaves laying to the side. The big harvest hasn't happened yet. I talked Jenna into jumping out of the car to rescue some for me.

I've never figured out exactly how to use tobacco. This is its only proper use, but my ability to use it properly is not yet developed. In the past, I've tried just laying the leaf on the affected area. That hasn't worked too well. Today, I thought I would take the brown part of the leaves that had already become crispy, chop them up and mix them with lotion that we have kept from hotel visits.



It's not awfully attractive, but it is staying on my neck. I think next time, I will try to totally pulverize it. If I had a mortar and pestle, that would do the trick. Then mix it with lotion so that it is smoother.

The final issue is how to judge whether or not it has had any effect. Since I'm not in pain, that can't be the measure. Size is hard to judge. Maybe I will rely on Kathy's judgment.

1 comment: