Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Early January


I guess I should expect much from the winter. I've not succeeded very well with the cold frames this year. I think the main problem has been that for four out of five, there were gaps that let cold air in.

The one that was well covered was one of the new beds that had the new soil in them. My suspicion all along has been that the new soil wouldn't hold moisture well. I finally uncovered it today. It rained all night and the snow melted and the temperature was in the 50s F yesterday. I was mostly right. The soil looked very dry. However, many of the spinach plants had sprouted. They just hadn't grown much.



The onions and garlic are still limping along.



I think my next year's plan is to get plastic that will cover all the beds like the last one I created and then use the older covers on the bottom and double layer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment