Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting a Few Things Done

One of the roof panels on the greenhouse blew out during the wintry blast we had a few weeks ago. The wind must have really kicked up because I couldn't find the panel anywhere. When I've lost one in the past, they were usually just a few feet away, but there was just no sign of this one.

I called and ordered a replacement. Actually, I ordered two. If I have to do this again, I only want to have to pay for shipping once. The replacement panel cost $8 each. The shipping was $16.

They came in the other day, but it has been cold and wet again, so I postponed doing the repair. Yesterday was actually a gorgeous day, but I fell asleep after church with a very nice nap. I got up this morning, knowing that rain was in the forecast, but feeling a bit of pressure to get this done. It only took about five minutes. The job isn't quite complete. I have difficulty getting the strips that snap the panels into place to seat correctly. I got the one on the left in just fine. The one on the right is partly in. As soon as I was finished, it started raining and it looks like it will hold until I can get out there with some additional help.

The past few weeks, I have been a bit worried about the bees in the hive in our yard. I was able to feed the bees in Clarence Brown's yard about a month ago. They are in full sun with the woods the hive backs up to on the north and the hive itself facing south. So I get regular reports from Clarence that the bees are out and about. There aren't any leaves sprouting from trees yet, so they are just orienting, I am pretty sure.

The hive in my yard, on the other hand, faces north and the pines that it backs up to are thick enough that the snow hasn't melted. I'm pretty sure the snow keeps the temperature inside the hive a bit lower. Without direct sun, they are in a poor situation during the winter. James Bennett advised me to just let them stay there, so I've complied. I went out Saturday and again on Sunday and didn't sense any life whatsoever. Kathy went out today and got the same impression. Because it never warmed up enough, I didn't feed them.

Doug Shaw lost his last hive earlier. He's been a bit more protective than me and I think he said he had fed his, although his description seemed to indicate they didn't get to the food and starved.

This evening, just about dusk, I decided I better go answer my question. The thermometer said it was 50f -- about as low as I want it to go. But, then, if the hive was dead, it wouldn't matter. Much to my pleasant surprise, there were still live bees. I didn't pop the inner cover, but I could see them moving around. So I went and took a top feeder and mashed up some old sugar (mixing in just a little water -- I hope not too much). I popped the inner cover and could see that they were still nicely clustered. My goal was to work quickly and it was getting dark, so the top feeder went on and I closed it up. I hope it doesn't get too cold and that they actually find the food quickly.

I haven't done much through the winter. These tasks are just the beginning. I have a lot to do in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment