Title

Sufficient for Our Need
Striving for Self-Sufficiency in the Modern World

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

First Frost


I went to bed last night a bit worried about frost. I haven't created the cold frame covers yet and a frost was predicted. Sure enough, the outside thermometer (Oregon Scientific) read 29 when I got up this morning. It was at its over-night low. After I walked the dogs and ate breakfast, I walked out to see whether there was frost or not. There was frost on everything. However, after my morning shower, I returned and found that the leaves on all the plants had apparently recovered -- even the lettuce, which is the first to wilt in my experience. There is now an urgency to get the covers made because a frost is expected again tonight.

I plan to follow the method of creating covers I previously experimented with, using sheets of 6 ml polyurethane sheeting, fit to the size of the raised bed (plus the frame) and tied down with short bungee cords. I went to Lowe's at lunch to get the materials. It occurred to me when I was buying the sheeting and bungee cords that self-sufficiency isn't cheap. The cost of the frames wasn't great -- the plywood was under $10 before taxes and the nuts, bolts, and washers was about the same, and that for the two frames I built -- but things add up.


The polyurethane went for $59 for a 10' x 100' roll. That will make 5 covers. Then there's the grommets, etc. to put the bungee cords through and the bungee cords. Buying lettuce, turnips, broccoli, etc. at the store would be cheaper. But I figure I can use the frames and the covers for years to come and, should hard times or inflation come, an investment now that makes us more self-sufficient and allows me to gain skill at growing things in cold weather is a reasonable trade off. If I didn't have the money, it would be different, but there may also be cheaper ways to accomplish what I am after. Besides, last night, we had potatoes, onions, and carrots all from the garden; fresh or frozen veggies from close to home.

Eric Reese helped me complete the first cover. Time is another cost. It took the two of us about an hour to measure it, cut it to size, and put the grommets in. However, in the end, it seemed to fit nicely.

An end note: the frost did the potato and sweet potato plants in. I'll have to look under ground when I get a chance to see what they produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment